The Canoe project has reached the end of the road. We need to be honest with ourselves, all things come to an end. Read on for more information.
Dear Nano community,
We in the Canoe team have come (again) to the conclusion that we do not have the energy to develop Canoe further. I am the original creator of Canoe but it has been a team effort over these 2 years and it’s been great fun!
Last spring we started out with a plan for the future - getting started on Canoe v2 (and Kayak) - a full rewrite in Dart and Flutter - but… as time went by we realized we just don’t have the time or energy to do it, especially since Natrium also “beat us to it” :)
- You can continue using Canoe (it still works, except on iOS) or switch to another wallet, your funds are always safe as long as you have your seed (you have it written down, right? Right?!). Just entering your seed in another wallet should be enough if you wish to switch. The contact book can not be migrated, sorry.
- The current server will continue to run at least for one more year. We are using our contributions solely to pay for the server cost.
- Maintenance in the form of “keeping server running” is the only thing we will do.
- The website will stay up and the Android Canoe app will continue to be available on Playstore as long as it works and is compatible with the Nano network, otherwise we will remove it. Desktop versions are of course also available for download.
- The iOS version is a bit of a problem, we will see if we can get it going again, it needs an update to work but there were some issues with it.
- We will put up messages on the website and in the app stores that Canoe is no longer actively maintained and that users should consider moving to other wallets in the longer term.
- For a period of time, Canoe will show a message when starting up about this, to make sure everyone is aware.
- The discord server will stay open, but we will prune out channels that aren’t needed anymore.
It’s the way of life - things move on. It was a fun project and we hope Canoe helped people use Nano all over the world.
Finally, if there are people out there that would want to take over the project - contact us on Discord and we can arrange a full transfer of everything needed, everything is open source.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
regards, Göran, Tyler, Rami, Stef, Nico
Donate to Canoe